Sunday, August 16, 2015

I Spy a Rainbow


Rainbow
40 x 56
A donation quilt for either Wrap-A-Smile or Quilts Beyond Borders



I had some rainbow looking fabric in my stash to use for borders and backing. 


I made the blocks last year as one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects. 


I quilted it in swirls on my plain Jane Janome. 


I used some polka dots for binding. It is recommended that we machine stitch the binding on these donation quilts. With practice I'm finally getting better at it. I prefer hand stitching down the binding. 

This was one of my goals for the 2015 Finish Along with Adrianne at On the Windy Side .  I wanted to make at least 5 donation quilts this quarter from orphan blocks, strings, crumbs, etc. and listed those quilts as goals 8-12. This is my third completion so goal number 10 can be checked off the list now. 


17 comments:

Lisa England said...

Cute! I just love scrappy. I'm with you on the binding thing. When I try to stitch it down by machine it never looks neat enough to suit me. For donation quilts I sometimes stitch it by hand and then stitch it again by machine once it's held in place. How silly is that?!?

gayle said...

Okay - you have an army of quilting elves in the attic, right? It's the only way to explain how many quilts you get done...
I love all your rainbow lovelies!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Rainbow quilts are always my favorite! That worked so well with the string blocks!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh it looks so lovely blowing in the wind! Makes me want to get my paper foundations out and sit behind the machine, but I really need to finish this binding.

Sue SA said...

This rainbow string quilt looks fantastic and will certainly brighten up a childs life.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a wonderfully happy quilt - perfect for giving! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a wonderfully happy quilt! And going to a good home no doubt.

Ann said...

Such a cheerful quilt. And finished! Even better. I'm so impressed with the sheer number of quilts you complete. They are lovely.

Kaja said...

Another lovely happy bright quilt! This will really bring a smile to someone's face. I'm with you on the binding though.

Shannon said...

Oh I love this quilt. I have made a few of these blocks and I love them. They use up so many pieces!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a super layout . . . just LOVE it!!!

TakeMeThereTotes said...

Another fun, fun quilt! Like it so much.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's spectacular! So bright and happy... love the quilting!

Anonymous said...

Love that border fabric, and the whole quilt is great. Your quilting design is the perfect thing for it.

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Wow, such a bright and cheerful quilt. The border and binding go perfect with all the different color blocks.

Bethany said...

So bright and fun!! Just gorgeous!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

Love the bright colors!!! Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing and playing along in the FAL. Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.